lunes, 12 de mayo de 2014

Verbs Followed by Gerunds or Infinitives

Verbs Followed by Gerunds or Infinitives

When two verbs appear together, the first verb determines if the second verb will be in the gerund form (-ing form) or the infinitive form (to...). The only way to know is to memorize which verbs are followed by gerunds and which are followed by infinitives.

Example: The student needs to go to class early. The verb “need” can only be followed by an infinitive form (to...). The student doesn’t mind going to class early. The verb “do not mind” can only be followed by a gerund (-ing) verb.

Verbs Followed by Infinitives

Most verbs are followed by infinitives. If the verb is not found in the list below it is probably followed by an infinitive.

Verbs Followed by Gerunds

The verbs in the following table all need to be followed by gerunds. Example: The students don’t enjoy going over the same rules again and again.

admit (to)
delay
get used to
practice
risk
appreciate
deny
look forward to
put off
stop
avoid
discuss
imagine
recommend
suggest
be accustomed to
dislike
keep (on)
regret
tolerate
be used to
enjoy
(not) mind
report
understand
can’t help feel like
miss
resent
consider
finish
postpone
resist

Verbs Followed by an Object Before the Second Infinitive Verb

Example: I advise you to go to school early today.

advise
encourage
instruct
*promise
*want
allow
*expect
invite
remind
*warn
*ask
force
*need
require
*would like
authorize
get
order
teach
cause
help
permit
tell
challenge
hire
persuade
train
convince
inform
*prepare
urge

(Words with * can be used with or without an object.) *Some words can be used without an object as well as with an object. Example: I want him to go. I want to go.

Verbs Followed by Either Gerund or Infinitive

Sometimes the meaning changes according to the verb used.

Example: He doesn’t remember giving the homework to Mr. Young. He didn’t remember to give the homework to Mr. Young.

attempt
hate
start
begin
intend
try
can (not) bear
love
can (not) stand
neglect
continue
prefer
(dis)like
remember

Verbs Followed Only by the Simple Form (no -ing or to)

Four verbs are called causative verbs. They are followed by an object; the verb after the object is always in the simple form:

let: They let him go on the trip (instead of “let him to go"). I let him take my book home for one night.
make: We made her do her chores first. I made my sister cry.
help: She helped her finish her homework. I helped him find the bookstore.
have: The teacher had him stay after school. I had my teacher explain the answers.

Verbs Followed by Either the Simple Form or the Gerund (no to)

Some verbs are called verbs of perception and are followed by either the simple form or the -ing form.

see: I see him go. I see him going.
notice: I notice him run to school everyday. I notice him running to school everyday.
watch: I watch him struggle with his homework. I watch him struggling with his homework.
hear: I hear him sing. I hear him singing.

Others include: look at, observe, listen to, feel, smell.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario