lunes, 12 de mayo de 2014

Expressions .-

Expressions:
(used with 'stop' as an example verb)

1. I reckon you should stop now.
2. Why don't you stop now?
3. How about stopping now?
4. If I were you, I'd stop now.
5. I suggest you stop now.
6. You'd (really) better stop right now.
7. I would strongly advise you to stop.
8. My advice would be to stop now.
8. It might be a good idea to stop.
9. You might try stopping.

How To Use These Phrases:

Phrases 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the most informal.

Phrases 2 and 3 are less forceful. 

Phrase 4 is more forceful than the previous three phrases.

Phrase 5 is neutral. Note it can be used formally and informally. Using more stress on the 'gest' /JEST/ of 'suggest' makes it more tentative with more stress on the main verb (in this case 'stop') making it more forceful.

Phrase 6 is quite a forceful phrase and gives the impression that by not following the advice there will be negative consequences. 

Phrases 7 and 8 are quite formal in tone. Phrase 7 is really quite forceful but phrase 8 less so.

Phrases 9 and 10 are the least forceful phrases.

Phrase 10 sounds more informal than phrase 9.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario